To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties in assigned area in a satisfactory fashion. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and attitudes required for this employment position. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- First Class Papers (12 months experience, Certificate of Mine Competency) required
- 2 year Associate's degree in coal mining or related technical field or Coal Mining Certificate from an accredited college with equivalent experience preferred.
- Must successfully complete applicable pre-employment testing
- Mine Examiners papers preferred.
- Valid MSHA electrical card preferred.
- Emergency Medical Training is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of all underground mining practices, equipment and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of all state and federal laws and regulations governing the mining of coal.
- Knowledge and ability to make decisions relative to production, maintenance, law and safety.
- Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) rules.
Skills, abilities and physical requirements
- Ability to clearly communicate with co-workers, supervisors and others.
- Ability to read and understand mine plans.
- Ability to read and understand Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ability to work any assigned shift, including evenings and weekends.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
- Ability to work unsupervised as required.
- Physical Requirements:
- Stand for 5 to 10 hours on uneven rocky surfaces
- Be seated for up to 10 hours to operate equipment or vehicles.
- Walk for up to four hours at a time in uneven and wet conditions through sections of the mine with varying degrees of clearance and headroom.
- Lift up to 80 pounds without mechanical assistance.
- Ability to do overhead work.
- Work from elevated positions, walk or climb up and down stairways and ladders and climb on and off of equipment and must be able to bend or stoop for a full shift as a result of the mine height.
- Don and wear required safety equipment including SCSR, respirators, hearing and eye protection, and protective clothing.
The characteristics listed herein describe the work environment the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this employment position. REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS MAY BE MADE TO ENABLE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS. While performing the duties of this employment position, the employee:
- Will work in a dusty or damp, dimly lit, and possibly confined work area.
- Will encounter noise levels that will necessitate the wearing of hearing protection.